New Delhi: At least 220 people were killed in Gaza on Tuesday as Israeli forces launched their most intense strikes since the January 19 ceasefire, following a breakdown in truce negotiations.
Gaza’s civil defence agency reported that the airstrikes, carried out during the holy month of Ramadan, killed “mostly children, women, and the elderly” and left around 150 others injured. Explosions were reported across several areas, including northern Gaza, Gaza City, and the regions of Deir al-Balah, Khan Younis, and Rafah in central and southern Gaza.
The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) confirmed the operation in a post on X, stating it was “conducting extensive strikes on terror targets belonging to the Hamas terrorist organisation in the Gaza Strip,” acting under directives from political leadership.
Israel also ordered the closure of all schools in areas near the Gaza border.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office later stated that the strikes were launched in response to “Hamas’s repeated refusal to release our hostages, as well as its rejection of all proposals presented by US Presidential Envoy Steve Witkoff and other mediators.”
In a post on X, the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) said, “At this time, the IDF is striking Hamas terror targets throughout the Gaza Strip to achieve the objectives of the war, as defined by the political leadership — including the release of all our hostages, both living and deceased.”
Israel also declared it would now operate with “increased military strength” against Hamas.
Hamas, however, blamed Prime Minister Netanyahu for “violating and overturning the agreement,” accusing him of choosing to “sacrifice” the hostages by resuming the war.
“The breach of the ceasefire exposes the prisoners in Gaza to an unknown fate,” Hamas said in a statement.
A White House spokesperson confirmed that Israel had consulted with the Trump administration before launching the strikes.
Ceasefire Talks Collapse
The truce negotiations broke down after Israel sought to extend the first phase of a three-stage ceasefire deal, while Hamas insisted it would release more hostages only in the second phase, originally set to begin on March 2.
Israel wanted to prolong the first phase until mid-April, demanding that any move to the second phase include “the complete demilitarisation” of Gaza and the removal of Hamas, which has governed the territory since 2007.
Last week, Hamas offered to release American-Israeli soldier Edan Alexander and the bodies of four hostages if Israel agreed to immediately begin discussions on implementing phase two. Israel, however, accused Hamas of engaging in “psychological warfare” against the families of hostages.
During the first phase of the ceasefire, Hamas released 33 Israeli hostages — including five bodies — and five Thai nationals in exchange for the release of around 1,800 Palestinian prisoners. Hamas is still believed to be holding around 59 hostages.
The only previous truce in the conflict occurred in November 2023, lasting a week, during which Hamas released several hostages in exchange for Palestinian detainees.
The war began on October 7, 2023, when Hamas carried out a cross-border attack into southern Israel, killing around 1,200 people, mostly civilians, and abducting 251 hostages.
Since then, Israeli retaliatory strikes have reportedly killed more than 48,000 Palestinians and injured over 112,000.